I’m starting a new series today to help break down healthy lifestyle swaps into easy, informative approaches that leave you feeling educated and aware, because knowledge is power!
I have spent the last several years learning about not only safer and cleaner food, but also safer options in skincare, beauty, home cleaning products, and the products we use on our children. I will highlight the dangers of specific ingredients in products to answer the “what’s the big deal” and “why should I be concerned” questions. I will also detail homemade options with recipes when those apply, and let you into my home where I share my personal favorite products. I’ve lived and learned making my own mistakes, spent hours and hours researching, so that I can now offer you straight-forward information to make your life so much easier and safer.
This “swap this for that” post is about sunscreen options and why we should be concerned about conventional sunscreen.
Let me breakdown the most common ingredients in sunscreen:
- Hormone disruptor that acts like estrogen in our body (i.e. a xenoestrogen)
- Found in blood, urine & breastmilk samples from American population, meaning it penetrates the skin and infiltrates our circulatory system.
- Associated with endometriosis in women
- Alters sperm production in animals
- High likelihood to cause skin allergy
- Found in the urine of 97% of Americans when sampled by the CDC
- Shown to be an antagonist toward androgen and estrogen receptors in vitro
- There is also evidence that homosalate, (and other UV filters) can break down into more toxic products
- In the paraben family of preservatives used by the food, pharmaceutical, and personal care product industries
- Parabens mimic estrogen and can act as potential hormone (endocrine) system disruptors
- Is an ingredient used in foundation, skin moisturizers, lipsticks, eye shadows, concealers, sunscreens and facial powders as an anti-caking and viscosity increasing agent
- It is a chemical that is toxic to the human nervous system and is a suspected developmental neurotoxin
- Aluminum compounds are also suspected respiratory hazards.
Butylated Hydroxytoluene (BHT):
- Debate surrounds the link of BHT to cancer risk, asthma, and behavioral issues in children
- There is in vitro indication for endocrine disruption with effect on the testes and thyroid.
The Safer Option
I am thrilled to have found a company that not only fights in Washington DC for safer regulations when it comes to what we put on our skin, but that also offers TONS of products that have safe ingredients. I don’t need to worry about researching. They’ve banned over 1500 toxins and chemicals from all of their products. Every product that I’ve tried exceeds my expectations and what I swapped it for.
Snag the Protect Stick Sunscreen by clicking HERE.
Snag the Protect All Over Sunscreen SPF 30 by clicking HERE.
UNTIL APRIL 30TH, 2017: Purchase a Beautycounter Protect All Over Sunscreen & receive a free deluxe travel size product of your choice. Be sure to choose your free product at checkout when it prompts you!
Protect Stick Sunscreen Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Oil, Cera Alba/Beeswax/Cire d’abeille, Cetearyl Nonanoate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Nobilis (Mandarin Orange) Peel Oil, Coco-Caprylate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Mica, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Silica, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla) Fruit, Zinc Oxide, Citrus Grandis or Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Coconut Alkanes, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil, Candelilla Cera/Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax/Cire de candelilla, Euterpe Oleracea (Acai) Fruit Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lauryl Laurate, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Seed Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter.
Protect All Over Sunscreen SPF 30 Ingredients: Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Aqua/Water/Eau, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cera Alba/Beeswax/Cire d’abeille, Cetearyl Nonanoate, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Fruit Extract, Coco-Caprylate, Decylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, Isopropyl Palmitate, Isostearic Acid, Lecithin, Magnesium Sulfate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Mimosa Tenuiflora (Mimosa) Bark Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Polyglyceryl-3 Polyricinoleate, Polyglyceryl-4 Diisostearate/Polyhydroxystearate/Sebacate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, 1,2-Hexanediol, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Peel Oil, Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine) Peel Oil, Raphanus Sativus (Radish) Root Ferment Filtrate, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil.