One of my all-time favorite, easy, one skillet recipes from back in the day is called Sausage and Kale Skillet by Budget Bytes. Unfortunately due to all of mine and my family’s allergies, we cannot have cheese or chickpeas. So, I set out on a mission to mimic this recipe, that is already relatively healthy, to make it suitable for us and our health requirements.
After completion of my first Whole30 I discovered through reintroduction that I had a lot of issues with so many foods that I never even considered. So instead of trying to go back to my ‘normal’ lifestyle, why not make the stuff that I used to love fit into this new lifestyle? I have made this dish several times within the last month and every single time my husband eats it he says “is there cheese in this?” He absolutely cannot have cheese, so of course he asks out of concern first, but secondly talks about how it really tastes like it has cheese in it- Perfect! That was my goal in creating this goodness.
- 2lbs Ground Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 15oz Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Bunch Organic Kale
- 1.5 Cups Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Beef Broth
- 1/4 Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Arrowroot Flour
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Can Black Olives, sliced
- Cook the sausage over medium heat until fully brown.
- While the sausage is cooking, remove the woody stems from the kale, and chop. Rinse the kale, then add it to the skillet. Stir it into the sausage and continue to cook until it is fully wilted.
- Add in the can of Fire-roasted tomatoes.
- In a blender add the beef broth, cashews, arrowroot flour, tomato paste, and salt. Puree until completely smooth. Pour mixture on top of skillet and allow to warm for a minute.
- Throw the sliced black olives on top and serve.