I haven’t posted any new recipes in quite sometime, so it’s about time I get back into the swing of that! Like I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve been overcoming hormonal balance issues which left me lacking in my own creativity. I’m determined to get out of this and move on to feeling happy and healthy! Can I get an Amen? 😉
My bloodwork came back this week and the doctor told me 2 things. 1) I have 2 copies of MTHFR mutations 2) My Reverse T3 is high, which I was told means my body is overly stressed. In my own, non-doctor research, MTHFR seems to be pretty recent discoveries. So when a non-science person that’s not a doctor gets told “you have a genetic mutation” I was like, well what the heck does that mean? I swear this woman acted like I had some fatal disease…. SO apparently 40% of the rest of the world is right there with me! WooHoo! I’ve always known that my body does not like pesticides or anything that’s synthetic. So now that I’m learning that “folic acid” is indeed synthetic, there’s 2 things I need to do 1) Switch to a vitamin that does NOT have folic acid, but has folate and 2) lower my stress by getting 8hrs of sleep per night, ridding myself of toxins not just in food but toxic people, tv, etc.
Oh wait! So wow, I’ll be ok with minor changes and no drugs? Absolutely! If I lower my stress, my thyroid will perform in the way it should and not negate itself. I suppose the phrase “stress can kill you” is actually true. It can literally destroy the way your body performs. Thank God my acupuncturist is pretty much my therapist. Don’t you love those 2 for one deals??? Teaching me about toxic words that come out of my mouth, how to train my brain to think happy, and picturing a weight being lifted off my shoulders. Sounds elementary, but sometimes we all need to just go back to the basics. I’m tired of being an on-edge, drill sergeant mom.
Back to the new recipe… I’ve tried to use different fish to make this, and the cod is the one I like best. I get wild caught cod from Tom Thumb for like $5/lb (I kinda feel like I’m stealing it bc it’s so cheap). Also, I’ve put this over cauliflower rice. broccoli/cauliflower rice. I’ve paired it with PaleOMG’s Tortillas from her newest cookbook, StupidEasyPaleo’s Tortillas are also great! I’ve topped the rice with Red Cabbage Salad by Melissa Joulwan which is delish, as well as just shredded carrots, red onions and cilantro. And Whole Sisters Dump Ranch on top of ANYTHiNG is awesome of course.
- 2lbs of Cod (4-8 filets)
- 1/3 Cup Arrowroot Powder
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Flour
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsps Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Avocado/Coconut Oil
- Preheat a large pan/cast iron skillet over medium heat and set your oven to a warm setting. Place a cooling rack over a plate or cookie sheet, set aside.
- Mix all the coating ingredients, but the fish together. Coat the fish liberally on all sides.
- Once pan is hot, add 2-3 tbsp avocado/coconut oil to pan. Swirl and heat briefly, then add coated fish. Do not crowd the pan which will not allow for proper crisping. I do this in 2-3 batches.
- Once the first side is golden brown and crispy, use a sturdy spatula to flip to the other side, and brown, about 4-5min per piece.
- When done, place the fish on the cooling rack in the oven to keep warm while you finish the remaining fish.
- Serve the crispy fish atop cauliflower rice, slaw, tortillas etc